This meal was one of those, “I am too lazy to go growing shopping” meals. I had some leftover freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, a beer, and some chicken. That was dinner!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 Tbsp grapefruit zest (optional)
- 1/2 cup light beer
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp of yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp oil
1. Heat the oil in a pot and cook the garlic cloves for 2 minutes.
2. Add grapefruit juice, chicken broth, chili flakes, and beer to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the chicken breasts (raw) and reduce the heat to low for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred with two forks on a cutting board.
3. While you are shredding the chicken be sure to let the juices in the pot cook over low heat. Add mustard to the same pot with the juices and mix well. Once the liquid has reduced to about half of its original amount, add back in the shredded chicken. Enjoy!
I love grapefruit and grapefruit juice, however this fruit and some other citrus fruits can prevent or interfere with prescription medications. If you are on any prescription drugs, talk to a doctor or pharmacist about whether or not grapefruit juice will interact with the medications you are on. Play it safe, and just ask!
Recipe rating: 3/5 kiwis