This recipe is just simply amazing. It is from the cookbook, Everyday Lebanese Cooking by Mona Hamadeh.
- 700 g spinach (I used frozen)
- 50ml olive oil
- 15 grams pine nuts
- 2 onions, chopped
- 500 g coarse minced beef
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp cinnamon (heaping)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 300 ml boiling water
- Rinse the spinach, then place in a colander to drain.
- Heat oil in a large pan and fry the onion for about 10 minutes. Then add the meat and continue frying with the onions until the meat is brown.
- Add the cinnamon, pepper, salt and water and allow the mixture to boil fro 5 minutes before you turn the heat down. Turn the heat down, cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes
- Stir in the spinach and lemon juice, cover and cook for another 40 minutes, making sure the sauce has reduced. If not, uncover the pan and continue to simmer for a few minutes to allow the excess moisture to evaporate.
- Stir half the pine nuts back into the pan and continue to cook for another couple minutes so you get the most of the nutty flavour.
- Pour the mix into a serving dish and sprinkle with the remaining pine nuts.
Pine nuts are a good source of vitamin E, B-vitamins, and phosphorus. How can you use them in your cooking? You can:
- Add them to salads, sautes, ad pasta dishes
- Place them on top of baked casserole dishes
- Roast them and add them to breads
- Mix them into side dishes (especially cooked vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, and carrots)
How do you use your pine nuts?
Recipe Rating: 3.5/5 Kiwis