There is nothing better than lasagna for dinner! This meal can be made ahead of time and be thrown in the oven for a quick and easy meal. Enjoy!
- 2 Tsp olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground chicken
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 can tomato sauce (16 ounces)
- 2 medium eggplants (sliced thinly)
- Shredded Cheddar cheese (to cover the top of the lasagna)
- Green onions, sliced (optional garnish)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Brown ground chicken or turkey with chili powder, cumin and chopped onion for about 5 minutes.
- When meat has browned, add black beans and tomato sauce. Cook, stirring often, until beans are heated through, about 2 minutes. Set this mixture aside.
- In large nonstick skillet sprayed with vegetable spray, quickly brown eggplant slices; set aside.
- Spread remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan. Add 1/3 of the meat mixture, then top with thinly sliced eggplant (do this for 3 layers). Spread as much cheese are you feel you need over the top layer of meat. Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake lasagna 25 minutes, then uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese has started to brown. Serve topped with chopped green onions and a dollop of yogurt (optional)
Eggplants have a firm texture that make them great for grilling, baking and sauteing. Some eggplants can taste slightly bitter, so I recommend using a dash of salt to help reduce their bitter taste. Eggplants, like most vegetables, are low in calories (1 cup has about 30 calories) and low in fat (1 cup has 0 grams of fat). They also offer a variety of nutrients such as iron, vitamin C, potassium, and folate to give your body the nutrients it needs to be full of energy. Most importantly, eggplants contain phytochemicals that have been shown to fight against inflammation and have the potential to support neurological health.
Overall recipe rating: 3/5 Kiwis