In just five easy steps, you can have yourself a protein packed, healthy, and scrumptious snack. The best part about this snack: the balls can last up to a month and can be eaten right out of the freezer; a grab and go healthy snack!
Recipe (makes about 30-40 balls)
- 1 cup dry rolled oats
- 1 cup chocolate whey protein powder
- ½ cup honey
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup natural nut butter (I use peanut butter)
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed (You can also use Chia if you prefer!)
- 2 heaping Tbsps of Cocoa
- 1 heaping Tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 heaping Tbsps Coconut (Optional)
Step 4: Place in freezer on a tray (or unopened zip lock bag) and freeze for at least 1 hour. Put balls into zip lock bag and enjoy! (Insert Step 4 Photo)Note: For extra “umph” you can roll your protein balls in cocoa, cinnamon, or coconut. The options are endless, so have fun with it!
It’s about balance . . .
Healthy snacks are like spa treatments. They provide our bodies with the nutrients it needs to feel energized and look great! Aim for your snacks to have three components: 1. Carbohydrate: Provide your body with the energy it needs to make it to the next meal! Examples include fruits, wholegrain products (i.e. whole grain breads, crackers, or pasta), milk, yogurt, and some vegetables. To get a variety of vitamins and minerals, be sure to enjoy a variety of carbs!2. Protein: Helps you feel fuller for a longer periods of time. Examples include hard-boiled eggs, cheese, nuts or natural nut butters, yogurt, beans, and legumes (chickpeas!).3. Healthy Fats: Do not avoid all FATS! Monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats, and omega-3s have been shown to lower cholesterol levels and therefore positively affect overall heart health. Examples include avocado, walnuts, almonds, peanut butter, fatty fish, and a variety of oils (canola oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, etc).
10 examples of healthy snacks:
1. Cottage cheese with freshly cut fruit (grapes or apple) with cinnamon.
2. A whole grain pita with guacamole for dipping.
3. Whole grain crackers and cheese.
4. Homemade fruit smoothie made with Greek yogurt.
5. Apple slices with peanut butter and cinnamon.
6. Salsa egg wrap (Hard boiled eggs wrapped in a whole wheat pita with some salsa).
7. A banana cut in half and filled with peanut butter or yogurt.
8. Cut up vegetables with yogurt dip
9. Whole grain English muffin mini-pizza (Shredded cheese with freshly cut tomato or salsa).
10. Greek yogurt with your favourite fruit, and some nuts sprinkled on top!