I recently purchased this amazing cookbook entitled, Everyday Lebanese Cooking, by Mona Hamadeh. It is one of the best cookbooks I have ever purchased. Every recipe that I have tried in this book has been simple and has worked out perfectly. Below is one of the recipes that I particularly loved from the book.
- 6 large aubergines, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes (with insides scooped out).
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 75 ml oil
- 25 g pine nuts (optional)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 400 g mined beef or lamb
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp tomato puree
- 400 ml hot water
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Cut the aubergines in half and remove the insides. Sprinkle them with 1 tsp of the salt and leave them aside for at least 1 hour. This stops the aubergines from absorbing too much oil while frying. Take two tomatoes and cut a hole in the top, scooping out the insides.
- Meanwhile, heat 50 ml of the oil and fry the pine nuts for a few minutes to brown, then remove from the oil and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and fry for a few minutes until soft and brown. Then add the meat to the pan and fry all together to until it is brown. Add the cinnamon, the remaining salt and pepper. Stir for another 2 minutes. Stir in the pine nuts and remove from the heat.
- Heat the remaining oil in a separate pan and fry the aubergines over a fairly high heat until brown.
- Fill each aubergine and tomato with the browned meat and onions. Arrange the aubergines and the two tomatoes in an oven-to-table dish with the filling facing upwards. Dilute the tomato puree with water and pour over the aubergines.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until rich and thick. Enjoy!
Recipe Rating: 4.5/5 Kiwis